Clutch is a pioneering stoner rock/jam band from Germantown, Maryland, United States. They have been playing together since the early 1990s. They released their first EP, Pitchfork, in October of 1991. Each of Clutch's albums is marked by its own distinct and cohesive sound and the band's musical style may be said to have migrated from hardcore punk to hard rock and blues over the course of their career.
Each of Clutch's albums is marked by its own distinct and cohesive sound and the band's musical style may be said to have migrated from hardcore punk to hard rock and blues over the course of their career. Clutch's lyrics, at first angry and serious in tone, had by the time of 1993's Transnational Speedway League become characterized by intelligence, wordplay, and often humor (although comedy is not usually the focus). Their songs make frequent reference to history, mythology, popular culture, and religion. Bam Margera often uses Clutch songs in his MTV show "Viva La Bam."
The members of Clutch often perform on albums with other bands as well as side projects. JP played drums on Five Horse Johnson's album The Mystery Spot. Neil Fallon sang some backing vocals for Dozer's Beyond Colossal album as well as a side project called The Company Band. The band also has a side band they perform in called The Bakerton Group. The music consists of all instrumental jams with a blues feel to it.
Clutch has often performed more than 100 shows per year since their formation. They are managed by Jack Flanagan out of NYC.
* Dan Maines: bass guitar
* Tim Sult: guitar
* Jean-Paul Gaster: drums
* Neil Fallon: vocals, guitar, harmonica
* Mick Schauer: organ - Joined in 2004.
* Pitchfork (7") (Inner Journey Records, 1991)
* Passive Restraints (EP) (Earache Records, 1992)
* Transnational Speedway League: Anthems, Anecdotes, and Undeniable Truths (Eastwest Records, 1993)
* Clutch (Eastwest Records, 1995)
* Impetus (Earache Records, 1997)
* The Elephant Riders (Columbia Records, 1998) #104 US
* Pitchfork (CD) (Inner Journey Records & River Road Records, 1999)
* Jam Room (River Road Records, 1999)
* Pure Rock Fury (Atlantic Records, 2001) #135 US
* Live at the Googolplex (River Road Records, 2002)
* Slow Hole to China: Rare and Unreleased (River Road Records, 2003)
* Blast Tyrant (Rte / Drt, 2004) #147 US
* Live in Flint(River Road Records, 2004)
* Robot Hive/Exodus (Rte / Drt, 2005) #94 US
* Pitchfork & Lost Needles (Megaforce, 2005)
* From Beale Street to Oblivion (Rte / Drt, 2007)
* Heard It All Before: Live at the Hi Fi Bar (Sea Gator Music, 2007)
* Live at the Corner Hotel (Sea Gator Music, 2008)
* Strange Cousins From The West (Weathermaker Music, 2009)