There are at least seven bands with the name Atrophy. 1. Atrophy was a thrash metal band formed in 1986 in Tucson, Arizona, USA by Chris Lykins, James Gulotta, and Brian Zimmerman. The original bandname was Heresy, but by the time the band was rounded out to its professional line-up ? with Tim Kelly and Rick Skowron joining the fold ? the name was changed. In 1987, the band produced two cassette demos and were subsequently picked up by major thrash metal specialist label, Roadrunner Records.
1. Atrophy was a thrash metal band formed in 1986 in Tucson, Arizona, USA by Chris Lykins, James Gulotta, and Brian Zimmerman. The original bandname was Heresy, but by the time the band was rounded out to its professional line-up ? with Tim Kelly and Rick Skowron joining the fold ? the name was changed.
In 1987, the band produced two cassette demos and were subsequently picked up by major thrash metal specialist label, Roadrunner Records. They recorded two albums ? Socialized Hate in 1988, and Violent By Nature in 1990 ? and toured the USA and Europe with fellow Arizonans Sacred Reich and Swiss band, Coroner.
Following the European tour, Chris Lykins left the band to go to medical school. The band attempted to carry on with new members and even got so far as making a pre-production tape for a third album, but Roadrunner Records lost confidence in the band ? Chris Lykins was one of the main songwriters ? and they were dropped by the label as a consequence.
Tim Kelly and James Gulotta went on to form a band called "Head Circus", which Rick Skowron is also a member of intermittently, but they have yet to record a studio album.
Chris Lykins completed medical school and is now an ENT, James Gulotta runs a tile business, and Rick Skowron is an avionics engineer and avid motorcycle racer.
2. Atrophy is an experimental mathcore band from Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. They are best known for their very energetic live show, and their very "questionable" lyrics and song titles. The band pushes the bar with it's own unique brand of progressive riffs. An independently recorded EP is due for release January 2010.
3. Five-piece alternative band from Birmingham, UK.
4. A german band from Senden. They have 2 free songs on theire website ( http://atrophy.de.ms/ )
5. French brutal technical death metal band :
Atrophy was born in 99. The band finds its musical inspiration with the precursors of Death Metal such as Suffocation, Death, Atheist. The combo is composed of two guitarists (Julian and Mat),1 bassist (Bertrand), 1 drummer (ludo) and 1 singer (Fred).
In 2000, the band comes out its first demo "Atrophy" recorded by Ludovic Tournier (Himinbjorg).
The line up stays unchanged until 2003, year of the release of the second demo "D..dales" recorded by Ludovic Tournier and masterised to "L'autre studio". It is this year that Jeff integrates the band as new bassist.
ATROPHY evolves since in a death metal style mixing speed, professional skill and jazzys influences. These characteristics allowed to the band to acquire their own musical entity and a certain maturity in their compositions.
Since the beginning of year 2006, ATROPHY returned in studio in order to realize a video clip "Le mouvement perp?tuel" for the new Internet site.
At the end of the year 2006, Fred leaves the band and Stef takes his place.
Actually, the band works on his first record temporarily, called " The veil from beyond".
..Atrophy made shows with these bands: ..
and many more.
6. Another german Melodic Death Metal Band from Berlin. In July 2007 they published their Debut EP "Atrophy" on their website ( http://www.atrophy.de )
7. An ethereal experimental rock band from Melbourne Australia active in the 1990s and released a cd and some tracks on compilation cds.