There is more than one artist with this name: 1) alternative rock band from Johannesburg, South Africa 2) post hardcore band from Long Island, NY (USA) 3) American funk/jazz group from the 1970s 4) deep spiritual Dark Ambient from Hungary 5) German brutal death metal band 6) Christian rock band from 1980s. 1) The Awakening is an alternative rock band from Johannesburg, South Africa, formed in 1995 by vocalist, guitarist and producer Ashton Nyte.
1) alternative rock band from Johannesburg, South Africa
2) post hardcore band from Long Island, NY (USA)
3) American funk/jazz group from the 1970s
4) deep spiritual Dark Ambient from Hungary
5) German brutal death metal band
6) Christian rock band from 1980s.
1) The Awakening is an alternative rock band from Johannesburg, South Africa, formed in 1995 by vocalist, guitarist and producer Ashton Nyte. The band is credited in the press as "South Africa's most successful Gothic Rock act and one of the top bands in the far broader Alternative scene." The band has released 7 full-length studio albums, 1 greatest hits album, 2 music videos and 2 EPs, and have received significant radio play and club rotation throughout South Africa, Europe and the USA. They became the first gothic rock band to ever headline major national festivals throughout South Africa, including Oppikoppi, RAMfest, and many others. The band has had major chart success with several #1 hits on South Africa Rock charts (see sources) and charted on Germany's Alternative Charts.
As of 2009 the band is based in the United States with record label base in Germany (Massacre Records), South Africa and the USA (Intervention Arts). The band is touring the USA in 2009 for the fourth time, in support of their latest (8th) full-length studio album.
2) The Awakening is a 6 piece post hardcore band from Long Island, NY. The Awakening formed in February of 2008 releasing a self released E.P.,?Understanding Goodbyes?. The band with its original members left for tour only a few months later in July with, ?Thieves And Villains (Victory Records).? After tour, conflicts caused The Awakening to disband with no intentions of moving forward.
In April of 2009, The Awakening was brought back together with original members, Jerry Nedrow, Joe Votta, and Nick Tortora. New vocalist Mike D'amico, new guitarist John Arlet, and new synth player
Jason Bach were all added to The Awakening to make a huge impact. The new lineup would put out a 2 song ep titled ?Mending the Broken?Shortly after its release, The Awakening hit the road. After their 2nd east coast run with Beneath The Sky (victory records) drummer Nick Tatora and Guitarist John Ahrlet have left the band and has sense been replaced by Rich Urraro (Guitar) , Zack Austin (Drums).
The group is now in the studio recording their 8 track ep to be released mid-November.They will be hitting the road in december in support of their new ep.
3) The Awakening instrumental group from the legendary black jazz records. The group produced only two albums, 'Hear, Sense, and Feel' (1972) and 'Mirage' (1973) both on Gene Russell's Black Jazz label. The label produced a very limited number of releases (22) and was founded by that jazz pianist during the early 70's as an alterative to traditional jazz invoking a more political and spiritual tone often with funk overtones. Black Jazz released various types of music including, funk, free jazz and soul jazz.
4) Awakening is a deep spiritual Dark Ambient from Hungary.
5) The Awakening is the name of a german brutal death metal band from G?ttingen.
6) The Awakening is the name of a Christian rock band from the mid-late 80s. They were very similar to Yes.