There's more than one band with the name Solaris: 1) Solaris is post-rock / post-metal (previously proclaimed their style as avant-wave) band from Skr?veri (also some part nowadays based in R?ga), Latvia. releases: - Demo (2006) - Portraits Noires (2007) - The Thruth Can Only be Learned by Marching Forward (2011) The last lineup: Marko Rass - vocals, programming (currently Lassie the Cat); Kristians Rez?ikovs - guitar; Toms Putni?? - guitar; D?vis Kleikal?dis - guitar; Zintis Roznieks - bass guitar;
1) Solaris is post-rock / post-metal (previously proclaimed their style as avant-wave) band from Skr?veri (also some part nowadays based in R?ga), Latvia.
- Demo (2006)
- Portraits Noires (2007)
- The Thruth Can Only be Learned by Marching Forward (2011)
The last lineup:
Marko Rass - vocals, programming (currently Lassie the Cat);
Kristians Rez?ikovs - guitar;
Toms Putni?? - guitar;
D?vis Kleikal?dis - guitar;
Zintis Roznieks - bass guitar;
Sandis Liass - drums.
2) Solaris is a progressive rock band from Hungary. Established in 1978, then band went through several formations. Their music has a strong melodic content, often laced with Eastern European themes, and is highlighted by the use of dynamics and extended thematic development. There is a great deal of interplay among the lead instruments of flute, guitar and keyboard which is used to good effect in developing their themes. The emphasis is not on providing solo spots for the various instruments, but rather in employing those instruments within the context of the development of the individual piece.
The band's name is a reference to the Stanis?aw Lem sci-fi novel, Solaris. The first album's title is a reference to The Martian Chronicles. The members said that they were influenced by these - and other - sci-fi books.
99% of Solaris' songs have no lyrics - just the music. The first track on their first LP, Martial Chronicles however is an exception. There are a few lines spoken over the music. Some critics have described this as Alvin and the Chipmunks imitating Martian language. Actually, it's the band members' native tongue, Hungarian. And yes, it's human speech with the pitch shifted up a few notes (octaves), but remember, this was made at the beginning of the 80's, so it was supposed to be cool. The lines are: "Megrepedt t?kr?k (Broken mirrors) / Kormos ac?lfalak (Sooty steel walls) / Halott szem?thegyek (Dead piles of garbage) / ?s szennyes tavak (And polluted lakes) / Azt mondod, itt ?lt valaha az ember? (You say mankind used to live here?)".
The band had an official website until about 2002 (www.solarismusic.com), but unfortunately it no longer exists. In June 2003, Attila Koll?r (the flutist) said in an interview that the band is still alive, and they will start working on a new studio album that year.
Certainly, they have been live 'n' kickin' since that, very active in what can be thought as instrumental space rock, as a genre. Now (2007) Solaris has an official web-site again: www.solarisstudio.hu and there is information on www.perifericrecords.com as well. Erdesz Robert, Kollar Attila and Czigler Istvan have also been released solo albums - unfortunately, Czigler's one as a posthumus work after his tragic death.
3) Solaris (????) are a new Japanese indie rock band. They released their first CD in October 2007. If you are listening to them, please tag them as ???? (which is their official name).
4) Solaris is a name of a Lithuanian band also. Their so said - progressive - rock, mostly followed by lyrics offers an easily enjoyable music.
5) Solaris is also the pseudo-name of a Psytrance producer.
6) Solaris (Argentina)
SOLARIS es una banda de rock que tiene mucho que decir y no le alcanzan las palabras. Armados de un sonido fresco, nuevo y s?lido batallan contra el silencio llevando como mayor estandarte la canci?n. A la misma vez, SOLARIS son cuatro chicos buscando su lugar en el mundo a trav?s del cumplimiento su sue?o.
La receta es simple: mezclar cuatro tazas de Beatles con unas cucharadas de distorsi?n, sazonar a gusto con punk-pop de la ?ltima d?cada, una cucharada de ingrediente secreto y cocinar todo a fuego extra-alto durante un show en vivo.
Encubiertos bajo el nombre clave de SMILE, emprendieron un viaje que los llev? a recorrer una cincuentena de escenarios, durante el cual alcanzaron el sue?o de telonear a una de sus mayores influencias: los norteamericanos The Ataris, en 2006.
A partir de 2007 deciden develar su verdadera identidad, mostrarse como SOLARIS y ofrecer una gran cantidad (y calidad) de shows junto a bandas amigas de la talla de Infierno 18, Smitten y Cuentos Borgeanos.
En 2008 SOLARIS, bajo la producci?n art?stica de Paulo "Chuk" Funes y la ingenier?a en grabaci?n de Diego "Kolo" Taccone, ambos miembros de Smitten, graba su primer disco hom?nimo en Data Rec Studios. ?ste fue masterizado en los estudios de Andr?s Mayo, y ser? pronto lanzado por TOMMY GUN / UNIVERSAL. En ?l se encierran un sinf?n de historias en forma de canci?n sobre miedos, sensaciones, felicidades y tormentas varias. Es un gran punto de partida para una historia que comienza as?
6) Solaris (Belarus)
7)Solaris was a British improv/space-rock trio formed in 1974 in Middlesbrough by Mark Spybey, Richard Sanderson and his cousin Mark Sanderson. They re-united on their 35th anniversary to record new material in August 2010. They were named by Richard Sanderson after the Tarkovsky film.